Upcoming Holiday Closures:
Monday, December 24 & Tuesday, December 25 - All locations closed
Tuesday, January 1 - All locations closed
Giving Tuesday: Oakland vs Baltimore
- Giving Tuesday is the philanthropic community’s response to Black Friday and Cyber Monday, encouraging individuals to embrace the importance of charitable giving during the holiday season.
- The Oakland Public Library is soliciting donations for the Friends of the Oakland Public Library (FOPL), which provide financial support for library projects and programs that enhance library services to the residents of Oakland, Piedmont and Emeryville. Become a member for as little as $25!
The #BookBowl Challenge
- While the Baltimore Ravens take on the Oakland Raiders, The Enoch Pratt Free Library (Baltimore) has challenged the Oakland Public Library in Book Bowl 2018, a fundraising competition for Giving Tuesday.
- The Book Bowl begins the moment the Raiders kick-off against the Ravens on Sunday, November 25 and lasts until midnight on Giving Tuesday, November 27. The library that raises the most money online is crowned the 2018 Book Bowl Champions.
About the Friends of the Oakland Public Library
The Friends of the Oakland Public Library's mission is "to advance the role of the Oakland Public Library as a vital community resource and as an institution critical to the culture, education, and welfare of our diverse community."
The Friends fulfill their mission by encouraging and facilitating:
- Advocacy efforts
- Monetary support through gifts, grants, bequests, and other fund-raising efforts (see donate and The Bookmark)
Members of Friends of the Oakland Public Library provide financial support for library projects and programs that enhance library services to the residents of Oakland, Piedmont, and Emeryville. In addition to directly contributing to amazing programs, members receive a 20% discount at the Bookmark Bookstore and the Friends’ newsletter, Off the Shelf.
To learn how to make your tax-deductible membership contribution to the Friends, a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization, click here.
Grants to the Library
Grants to the Oakland Public Library total over $100,000 each year. Thank you to FOPL members and Bookmark Bookstore customers, volunteers and book donors for making these grants possible.
Read the details of our recent grants.