Upcoming Holiday Closures:
Monday, December 24 & Tuesday, December 25 - All locations closed
Tuesday, January 1 - All locations closed
Oakland Public Library offers free and open access to the Internet, in accordance with its mission, the American Library Association's "Library Bill of Rights" and the associated interpretation "Access to Electronic Information, Services, and Networks." The Internet offers access to many valuable information sources. However, not all sources provide accurate, complete, unbiased or current information.
The Library does not monitor or control the content of the material accessed through the internet and cannot be held responsible for its contents. Not all information found on the internet is accurate, complete, or up-to-date, legal or philosophically acceptable to all individuals. The Library assumes no responsibility and shall have no liability for any direct, indirect or consequential damages arising from the use of information found on the internet or any communications sent through the Library's Internet computers. The Library does not monitor an individual's use of the Internet; nor does the Library employ filtering software.
As with other Library materials, restriction of a child's access to the Internet is the responsibility of the parent or legal guardian. The Library does not provide any monitoring or supervision.
Use of the Library's computers for the transmission, dissemination, and/or duplication of information is regulated under various state and federal laws. The Library expects all users to comply with such laws.
Illegal activities, as well as any other activities that are intended to interfere with or disrupt network users, services, or equipment are prohibited and may result in suspension of access to computers at the Oakland Public Library.
The Library has developed "PC and Internet Usage Rules" and all users of the Library's Internet computers must follow them.
Personal Computer and Internet Usage Rules
- An Oakland Public Library card and PIN number
- Reservations are made through the MyPC software on Oakland Public Library public catalog computers.
- Library Staff can assist you with making a reservation.
- Phone reservations can be made by calling 510-238-3134.
- Some computers are designated as “Drop-In” use only and do not allow reservations.
- Each patron is allowed one hour of computer usage per day, system-wide.
- Express computers are limited to one session per day.
- Each patron must use their own library card when using a computer.
- Patrons found to be using a library card other than their own, will be timed-out of their computer session and may have their computer privileges suspended if they are repeat offenders of any Library computer use rules.
- Printing cost is 15¢/page for Black and White of printed material, and 50¢/page for Color (where available)
- Print jobs in the queue may be released at the self-service print release station. Library staff can assist you with releasing a print job.
- Failure to pay for printing will result in loss of computer privileges.
- Patrons are responsible for saving their own work on a mobile storage device such as a flash drive. The library cannot provide mobile storage devices to patrons.
- Patrons are responsible to abide by all laws pertaining to copyright and any illegal activities while accessing the internet from a Library computer.
- Patrons should respect the privacy of others who are using a computer or while using a computer themselves.
- Only Library software can be used on Library computers.
- The Library assumes no responsibility and shall have no liability for any claims or damages which result from provision of computer and internet access to the public.
- Library staff may be able to provide basic help regarding computers and the internet, but they cannot provide in-depth help.