All library locations will be closed on Monday, September 1st for the Labor Day holiday. The Main Library and the Brookfield, Eastmont, Piedmont Avenue and Golden Gate branches will be open on Tuesday, September 2nd. All other library locations will be closed that day.
Wireless Internet Policy
In accordance with the American Library Association Library Bill of Rights, the Oakland Public Library provides unrestricted access to the Internet at every Library site, including through its wireless networks, where available.
By choosing to use this free wireless service you agree to abide by the Library’s Internet Policy that prohibits abusive or illegal activity while using the Library’s Internet service.
This service is free of charge and subject to the terms and conditions of use as follows:
Limitations & Disclaimers
- Wireless access is provided as a public service free of charge on an as-is basis with no guarantee and no warranty. The library’s Wireless network is subject to periodic maintenance and unforeseen downtime.
- Information passing through the Library's wireless access is not secured and could be monitored, captured, or altered by others. There are risks involved with connecting to a public wireless connection, such as possible viruses, malware, loss of data, possible hacking/snooping by others connected, possible hardware/software failure. It is your sole responsibility to protect your information from all risks associated with using the Internet, including any damage, loss, or theft that may occur as a result of your use of the Library's wireless access.
- All Wi-Fi users should have up-to-date antivirus software installed on their computers.
- The laptop owner is responsible for setting up their equipment to access the Oakland Public Library Wireless network. Library staff is not permitted to handle your laptop or peripheral equipment. Library staff is not allowed to configure patrons’ laptops, nor can they provide more than general assistance in getting connected to the wireless network.
- The Library assumes no responsibility for the safety of equipment; users must keep their equipment with them at all times.
- In using this free Internet access, you agree and hereby release, indemnify, and hold harmless, the City of Oakland, its officers and employees, and any affiliate, from any damage that may result from your use of this wireless access.
- While using this wireless access, you acknowledge that you are subject to, and agree to abide by all laws, and all rules and regulations of the City Oakland, the State of California, and the federal government that is applicable to Internet use.
- At its sole discretion, the City Oakland may terminate this public service at anytime without prior notice.
- Printing is not available via the wireless connection at this time. If the user desires to print, the file can be saved to a flash/thumb drive or emailed to themselves and printed from a public computer in the Computer Lab for a nominal fee per page.
- Laptop owners may only use designated electrical outlets fitted with surge protectors to connect up their equipment.
- Due to limited bandwidth, during peak hours Library staff may limit the type of internet use.
- Any attempt to circumvent library procedures or any unauthorized attempt to access or manipulate library equipment will result in permanent disconnection from the library’s Wi-Fi network.
- If you do not agree to the above terms, please disable your wireless connection or turn off your computer.
Connecting to the network requires a laptop computer with wireless capability supporting the WiFi standard (also known as IEEE 802.11b/g ).