Summer Reading Challenge - Paws to Read
Your child does not have to lose her or his reading skills over the summer. Studies have shown that by reading just 20 minutes a day, a child retains, and can even increase, reading levels. We once again offer two fabulous grand prizes: one family membership in Children's Fairyland (ages 0-4) and one iPad (ages 5-14).
Our 2014 Summer Reading Challenge runs from June 14 through August 9. See our blog from last week for suggestions for books to read on this year's theme.
How to Play
- Sign up online or come to your neighborhood library.
- Choose whatever you want to read, and start reading.
- Track your progress online and add optional book reviews to share with friends. For every day you read or are read to, add an online sticker or put one in your reading log.
- Pick up your coupon prize packet after 10 days of reading.
- Choose your free book and get a badge and a raffle ticket when you complete the 20-day reading challenge.
Performers and Crafts and Parties, oh my!
We started strong with a Bubble Party at Melrose, Magic Dan at Elmhurst, Bodac Drumming at Martin Luther King, Jr. Busy Bee Dogs at the Main Children's Room, and Arts & Crafts at Brookfield. But wait, there's more, lots more. In just the next two days (Tuesday, June 17 and Wednesday June 18) we have many more activities for children and the whole family.
Golden Gate hosts Bodac Drumming at 10:30 am June 18
Main, Eastmont, and 81st Avenue host MOCHA Art Workshops 2:00 June 18
And there's more where all this came from. Check our kids' events page to find out what's going on from day to day.
And last, but not least, summer lunches at ten branches for children 0 to 18.
81st Avenue Tuesday-Friday from 12-1
Cesar Chavez Tuesday-Friday from 12:30-1:30
Dimond Tuesday-Friday from 12:30-1:30
Eastmont Monday-Friday from 12-1
Elmhurst Tuesday-Friday from 12-1
Golden Gate Monday-Friday from 12:30-1:30
Main Library (basement & second floor) Monday-Friday from 12:30-1:30
Martin Luther King, Jr. Tuesday-Friday from 12:30-1:30
Melrose Tuesday-Friday from 12-1
Temescal Tuesday-Friday from 12:30-1:30