Bicycling is a healthy, non-polluting, low-cost, and quiet form of transportation that is ideal for commuting and recreation. We also want to make it easier for you to bike to the library. Like last year, we've got a number of exciting programs planned in May, 2015, to encourage you to "Bike to Books" as part of the City of Oakland's efforts to promote biking for all!
And you don't have to wait until May to get going with bike-related events at the Library; 81st Avenue Branch hosts a free weekly Fix-It Clinic for minor repairs, every Friday, from 2 to 5 PM.
Programs in May include these events. First, decorate and personalize your ride with the Scraper Bike Team! We’ll have supplies for you, but feel free to bring along any tinfoil, colorful cardboard, candy wrappers, and paint that match your frame. We have four programs planned, with the Bike Mobile visiting at two locations so you can get your bike fixed for free and decorate it at the same time!
- Temescal: Saturday, 5/9 from 1 PM to 3 PM; details here
- Elmhurst: Wednesday, 5/13 from 3:30 PM to 5 PM; details here
- Melrose: Wednesday, 5/20 from 2 PM to 4 PM; details here
- Brookfield: Wednesday, 5/27 from 3 PM to 5 PM; details here (bike repairs 2 PM to 6 PM)
- Main: Saturday, 5/30 from 1 PM to 3 PM; details here (Bike Mobile visit 11 AM to 3 PM; details here)
And, do you have a bike gathering dust in your garage? Any spare parts? You can donate a bike or parts at our Bike Drive with Cycles of Change from Wednesday, 5/20 through Saturday, 5/23 from noon to 4 PM every day. Details are here.
We'll also host the first annual OPL Branch to Branch History Tour, visiting five locations, on Sunday, 5/17 in the afternoon.
Also, we have a number of special bike-themed storytimes and activities for families.
- Elmhurst: Wednesday, 5/13 at 10:30 AM and Thursday, 5/14 at 10:30 AM; details here
- Lakeview: Saturday, 5/23 at 10:30 AM
- Golden Gate: Saturday, 5/23 at 10:30 AM; details here
- Asian: Wednesday, 5/27 at 2 PM; details here
- Main: Saturday, 5/30 at 10:30 AM; details here
- Special kamishibai programs at Rockridge; details here
For teens, we have a bike tube crafts program on Friday, 5/22 at the Main Library's TeenZone; details are here.
We also have the following classes planned with Bike East Bay. The first is a one-hour Bike Theft Prevention class.
- Temescal: Tuesday, 5/5 at 6 PM; details here
- Piedmont: Tuesday, 5/12 at 6:30 PM; details here
- Elmhurst: Wednesday, 5/20 at 4 PM; details here
- Golden Gate: Wednesday, 5/27 at 3:30 PM; details here
- Main: Thursday, 5/28 at 6 PM; details here
We also have two sessions planned for the Family Bicycling Resources class.
Also, since last year, we've added bike tools that you can borrow as part of the collection at the Tool Lending Library. We have repair kits and other tools available - here's a sample listing from our catalog.
We also invite you to come help out at the library's Energizer Station for Bike to Work Day on Thursday, May 14 - early in the morning, from 6:30 AM to 9:30 AM. Please email Mana Tominaga, Main Supervising Librarian, at email@example.com if you're interested. We are hosting two Stations - one at Main and one at 81st Avenue Branch.