Read and Bike with OPL! OPL has planned an entire month of bike programs around a city-wide read of Elly Blue’s “Everyday Bicycling” for May, 2014 as part of the Book to Action program. We're encouraging everyone to read her book, and take part in a volunteer action around biking.
Elly Blue lives in Portland, Oregon and has been writing about bicycle transportation since 2006. Her work has appeared in various magazines, and she blogs at http://takingthelane.com/blog/. Elly Blue will visit Oakland Public Library on Saturday, May 10 to talk about her books and sign autographs. Join Elly at the Chavez Branch at 10:15 AM for some tips on group rides, then ride with her up the scenic Bay Trail to the 81st Avenue Branch for the formal presentation portion of her program, officially starting at noon.
Now for the volunteering! You have three options:
- Come help out at the library's Energizer Station for Bike to Work Day on Thursday, May 8 - early in the morning, from 6:30 AM to 9:30 AM.
- Donate a bike or help out with two Bike Drives with Cycles of Change on Saturday, May 24, either at the Main Library or the Bikery. Details are here.
- It's a Fixathon-Wrenching Day at the Bikery! Help fix bikes at the Bikery, on Sunday, May 11, from noon to 6 PM.
Please email Mana Tominaga at email@example.com if you're interested in helping out or have any questions.
Oakland Public Library is also encouraging local bike shops to help get library users set up with bike gear – show your library card at participating shops through the month of May, 2014, to get 10% off parts and accessories. Shops confirmed include Bay Area Bikes, Manifesto, Lakeview Bicycle, Alameda Bikes, the Fruitvale Bike Station, and Montano Velo.
We also have the following programs lined up for kids, teens, and families!
- A special presentation of Kamishibai Stories on the back of a bicycle on three dates at Rockridge, May 6th and May 20th at the Rockridge Library; May 13th at Frog Park, just a few blocks away.
- There's also a special Story Time and Bikes program at King, on Saturday, May 3. The Bike Library will also make an appearance!
- Saturday, May 31 at the Main Library - a Scraper Bike Program from 11 AM
- Presentations by Michael Woods, who biked across America, at various locations. He’s presenting at West on Saturday, 5/3 at 11:30 AM, King on Saturday, 5/3 at 3 PM, Main on Saturday, 5/17 from 1 PM, and Temescal on Tuesday, 5/6 at 6 PM. Details for the event at Main are here.
Please check back soon for more details on our Bike to Action webpage, currently under construction. Thanks!