October is Family History Month. With that in mind, the Oakland History Room has planned a series of interesting events that will encourage you to discover and preserve your family's story. First up is Oakland Family History Day on Saturday, October 17, noon to 5 p.m. at the Main Library. Preserving family stories and mementos is very important and contributes to our understanding of ourselves and our communities. Oaklanders are invited to bring up to six photographs or documents to this event where they will be scanned by Oakland History Room staff and volunteers. If you'd like to participate, here are the answers to some questions you may have:
- How can I participate in Oakland Family History Day? Space for this event is very limited. Pre-registration is required. Pre-register by October 16 by calling the Oakland History Room at 510.238-3222. Come to the event on Saturday, October 17, noon to 5 p.m. at the Oakland Main Library’s Walters Auditorium.
- What types of items can I bring? You can bring up to six (6) of your personal, unframed family photos or documents (diplomas, certificates of merit, etc.). Bring only scan-ready materials (no items requiring dismantling or removing from albums; no items needing additional photographing such as 3-D collages, bas relief maps, etc. Due to copyright restrictions, professional studio photographs will not be accepted.
- What size photographs or documents should I bring? Bring items measuring 8.5” x 11” or smaller. Photographs should be of good quality and physically sound (no tears, no water damage, etc.)
- What will happen to my photographs and documents that are digitized at this event? The originals will be returned to you immediately after scanning. If you sign the release form permitting their inclusion, copies of your images may become part of the Oakland History Room collection.
- How long is this scanning program? You can come any time during the day. You're required to be at the event only as long as it takes OPL staff and volunteers to scan your items, record brief stories about each of them, and return your original materials.
- What do I get for participating? Each participant will receive a thumb drive of his/her scanned items to commemorate the Oakland Public Library’s first Oakland Family History Day.
The Friends of the Oakland History Room will co-sponsor this event.