The library will be closed on Monday, September 5th for Labor Day. All locations except the Main Library and the Brookfield and Eastmont Branches will be closed on Tuesday, September 6th for Labor Day.
New Village Press : Building Community with Books
The Temescal District's own non-profit publisher, New Village Press, will host a morning writer's workshop led by one of its authors, film showings, inluding the feature "A Lot in Common," a documentary on community gardens & the short films "Green Schoolyards," "The Barefoot Artist" (clip), & "By Heart: Spoon Jackson" followed by afternoon presentations by its authors and a general introduction to community building, the main mission of the press and its sponsoring organization, Architects / Designers / Planners for Social Responsibility (ADPSR).
Writing for Social Change Workshop and Introductions
- 10:00am-12:30pm: "Undoing Our Silences" - Free writers workshop conducted by author Louise Dunlap
- Featured Book: Undoing the Silence: Six Tools for Social Change Writing by Louise Dunlap
- 12:45pm-1:00pm: New Village intro film and welcome by Lynne Elizabeth, director of New Village Press
Revitalizing Community Spaces through Nature and Art
- 1:00pm-2:00pm: "A Lot in Common" - Feature film about creating community gardens and other shared spaces.
- 2:15pm-2:30pm: "Green Schoolyards" - Short film about transforming school grounds into ecological oases
- Featured Book: Asphalt to Ecosystems by Sharon Gamson Danks
- 2:35pm-3:00pm: "The Barefoot Artist" - Clip from feature film about the life of Lily Yeh and the Dandelion School
- Featured Book: Awakening Creativity by Lily Yeh
- 3:00pm-3:30pm: Guest Author: Arlene Goldbard
Two-Person Memoir: Telling a Prison Story
- 3:30pm-4:00pm: "By Heart-Spoon Jackson" - short film
Power of the Arts to Heal Conflict and Trauma
- 4:00pm-4:30pm: "Acting Together on the World Stage" - Clip from feature film about the Acting Together Project
Community Resiliency: Fresh Perspectives on Urban Public Space
- 4:30pm-5:00pm: Featured Books: Beyond Zuccotti Park and What We See: Advancing Observations of Jane Jacobs
- Additional Book: Service-Learning in Design and Planning