Children's Librarian's Picks
OPL Children's Librarians have prepared a number of lists of recommended books for different age groups and interests. You can browse them here.
Sites with Award Lists
- Newbery Medal: Awarded for the most distinguished American literature for children
- Caldecott Medal: Awarded for the most distinguished American picture books for chidlren.
- Coretta Scott King Award: Awarded for outstanding African American children's books.
- Pura Belpre Award: Awarded for outstanding Latino children's books.
More Sites with Great Reads
- Booklists of Children's Literature: Indiana librarians recommend many types of books: animal, family, funny, space, etc. Most lists describe the books.
- Guys Read: Jon Scieszka, author of The True Story of the Three Little Pigs and the Time Warp Trio books, lists his favorite books for guys.
- Good Books for Children: Berkeley Public Library suggests books for different grade levels, multicultural books, Harry Potter read-alikes, and more.
- Teen Lists: Berkeley Public Library recommends books including fantasy, romance, graphic novels, multicultural books, and war stories.
- Children's Booklists: San Francisco Public Library suggests scary stories, books with strong female characters, books for infants and toddlers, books like Harry Potter, multicultural books, and more.
- Alltogethernow: Hundreds of title and author book lists can be browsed by categories, including genres, themes, school subjects, read-alikes, read-alouds, awards, ethnic authors, and target audience. Compiled from library professionals' e-mail lists.
- CA Department of Education Recommended Literature: Over 2,500 annotated listings for K-12 readers in a database searchable by title, author, grade range, culture, genre, or keyword.
- Database of Award-Winning Children's Literature: Over 3,500 annotated records, searchable by genre, setting, format, historical period, or publication date, as well as the protagonist's age, ethnicity, or gender. Compiled and indexed by librarian Lisa Bartle.
- Nancy Keane's Booktalks: Enticing descriptions of K-12 books indexed by author, title, subject, and interest level. Created by a librarian.