Internet and phone service are currently down at Lakeview Branch. We apologize for the inconvenience.
New readers series
These are the easiest books available, from simple to complex:
- Rigby PM Starters
- Scholastic Bob Books
- Children's Press Rookie Reader
- Wright Group/McGraw-Hill Sunshine/Story Box
- Candlewick Brand New Readers
- Harcourt's Green Light Reader
- Modern Curriculum Press Beginning to Read Series
- Millbrook's Real Kids Readers
- Harper Collins My First I Can Read Books
- Random House Beginner Books
- Scholastic Hello Reader
- Viking Easy-to-Read
Remember: If it's interesting, it's easier to read. Look beyond this list for authors, illustrators, or topics that appeal to you.
Books for adults
- The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease
- Reading Magic: Why Reading Aloud to Our Children Will Change Their Lives Forever by Mem Fox
- The Between the Lions Book for Parents: Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Child Learn to Read by Linda K. Rath
- How to Get Your Child to Love Reading by Esme Raji Codell
- Bridges to Reading: What to Do When You Suspect Your Child Has a Reading Program by The Schwab Foundation for Learning
Some websites to explore
Getting more ideas
Your child's teachers may have specific observations and suggestions about your child's learning style and reading habits. A conversation with the teacher will help both of you support your child better in learning to read on his or her own.
Your local library will be familiar with books that are available. Ask you librarian for a list of books for you to enojy reading together. Stop by your library for inspiration, suggestions, resouces, and a batch of books to get started.
And...read more yourself!