Starting October 6th, we will no longer mail hold pick/cancellation notices. In order to receive information about your holds, please log in to Your Library Account and make sure we have your current email address or phone number. Thank you for your cooperation.
Affordable Care Act / Covered California
Are you ready? The Affordable Care Act (ACA) went into effect on January 2014. Now, you can take advantage of the next round of open enrollment – it’s from November 15, 2014 to February 15, 2015!”
- California’s site: www.coveredca.com – information in English, Spanish, and eleven other languages.
- Alameda County’s site: http://achealthcare.org/
- Phone: You can call 1-885-857-0445 for more information.
- Federal information: https://healthcare.gov – information for individuals and small businesses.
This year, there’s optional dental coverage for adults!”
Other Useful Websites
- The California Department of Managed Care has a series of toolkits for families, seniors, people with pre-existing conditions, and small businesses at http://www.dmhc.ca.gov/aboutthedmhc/gen/ann/gen_ann_hcr.aspx.
- MedlinePlus, at http://medlineplus.gov, also has multilingual information.
- Consumer Reports Health Law Helper, at https://www.healthlawhelper.org/, shows you how the new laws affect you.
- Consumer Reports Asegura Tu Salud, at http://www.aseguratusalud.org/.
Employers will not have to worry about compliance with the provision, which is also commonly referred to as the “play or pay” provision, until 2015. See http://kff.org/infographic/employer-responsibility-under-the-affordable-care-act/ for details.
Need more help?
Contact the Reference Desk at the Oakland Public Library, Main Library, at 510-238-3138.
For advice on legal matters involving health access, call the Alameda County Legal Advice Line from Bay Area Legal Aid: Schedule: Mondays and Thursdays 9:30am-3:00pm; Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 9:30am to 1:00pm, at (510) 250-5270.
Call the Alameda County Health Care Services Agency Health Insurance Technician Unit at 1-800-422-9495 to set up an enrollment appointment.