Interlibrary Loan Service
If an item you are seeking is not owned by the Oakland Public Library, you may request it through our interlibrary loan (ILL) service at any of our libraries. Oakland Public Library ILL handles requests for materials from UC campus libraries, libraries throughout California, the United States, and Canada.
Here are our basic ILL policies and procedures:
- There is a non-refundable $2.00 ILL request fee payable at the time of the request. Separate request cards should be completed for each individual request for each book title, periodical article to be photocopied, or each separate date range for microfilm (for example, January-June 1905)
- ILL does not accept requests for books published in the current year, or for materials already held by the Oakland Public Library, including reference materials. No requests are accepted for audiovisual materials (DVDs, CDs, audiobooks).
- ILL accepts a maximum of 5 requests per patron per month.
- You will be notified by email message or by US mail when your item is ready for pickup. Please make sure your library card contact information (US mail address and email address) is current, so you will receive notification in a timely manner.
- ILL materials may only be renewed through the ILL office. We can make only one renewal request to the owning library for a two week period. Non-renewable books are noted in handwriting on the yellow book band. Staff or patrons may call for renewals (510-238-2124).
- ILL materials must be returned by the date due with their yellow bands and blue barcode cards intact. Returning ILL materials late or damaged may result in restriction or suspension of ILL privileges.
- Also, with each circulating book, the patron receives a lost book slip stating that there is a standard minimum charge of $115 for a lost item.
If you have additional questions about interlibrary loan services, please call (510) 238-2124.