Tax Assistance Program
The Oakland Public Library and the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) have partnered to offer free tax assistance to residents at selected libraries during the 2013 tax season.
Training volunteers will be available to answer questions and prepare personal tax returns at the following locations and times, beginning February 5th, 2013 and ending April 15th, 2013.
Important to Note
The Tax Assistance Program is very popular, and not everyone is guaranteed a time slot. Seniors, ages 60 and up, will be given preference at walk-in sites. Be sure to bring copies of your federal and state tax returns for last year and all materials pertaining to your 2012 income. Come with your spouse if you are filing jointly.
Tax assistance will not be available on days when the Oakland Public Library is closed for holidays or due to budget cuts. See the full list of closures here.
2013 Tax Assistance Locations and Schedule
Oakland Main Library
Bradley Walters Community Room
125 14th Street, (510) 238-3134
- Mondays, 10am to 3pm
- Wednesdays, 12 noon to 4pm
- Saturdays, 10am to 3pm
No advance appointments; arrive early to sign up for a time slot
Cesar E. Chavez Branch Library
3301 East 12th Street, Suite 271, (510) 535-5620
- Thursdays, 10am to 3:30pm
- Fridays from 12 noon to 3:30pm
Call for an appointment. Some walks-ins may be accepted; call for information.
Dimond Branch Library
3565 Fruitvale Avenue, (510) 482-7844
- Tuesdays, 12:30 to 4:30pm
- Thursdays, 10:30am to 2:30pm
Call for an appointment
Eastmont Branch Library
7200 Bancroft Avenue, (510) 615-5726
- Fridays, 12 to 4pm
No advance appointments; arrive early to sign up for a time slot.
Golden Gate Branch Library
5606 San Pablo Avenue, (510) 597-5023
- Wednesdays, 10am to 2:30pm
- Thursdays, 10am to 3pm
Call for an appointment.
- There will be no tax assistance on the following dates due to library closures.
- Saturday, February 9 - Branches are closed due to budget cuts
- Monday, February 11th - The Main Library is closed due to budget cuts
- Tuesday, February 12th - All locations are closed for Lincoln's Birthday
- Monday, February 18th - The Main Library is closed for President's Day
- Monday, April 1st - The Main Library is closed due to budget cuts
- Tuesday, April 2nd - Branches are closed due to budget cuts