Made possible by a Friends of the Oakland Public Library mini-grant, Check Your Shelf: The Oakland Public Library Podcast, invites listeners to take an inside look at OPL. Community Relations Librarian Amy Martin brings you inside the walls to get to know the library as a friend. The first season will feature six episodes diving into the different places, programs, and initiatives that make OPL truly special.
Transcript coming soon.
- Your Library during COVID-19 closures
- Email email@example.com to ask questions, reset your PIN, or anything else you need to get access to your library account
- Get a new library card: fill out the online application, then email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call (510) 238-3134 to get help by phone. Leave a message in English, Spanish, or Cantonese, and Library staff will call you back.
Ebooks and audiobooks for kids, teens, and adults to download or stream on desktop or mobile devices.
Desktop: Visit oakland.overdrive.com and sign in with your library card and PIN to download books to your desktop.
Mobile: Download the Libby App to your device from Google Play or the App Store.
Click on the menu and choose 'Add A Library' to sign in with your library card and PIN.
Browse or search to check out books. Overdrive Help | Libby App Help
Ebooks, movies, music, audiobooks, and graphic novels to download or stream.
Find the Hoopla app in Google Play or the App Store.
We have increased the checkout limit to 10 total check-outs a MONTH, even if you return the titles (includes all formats).
- All ebooks and other digital content available from OPL
- Other online resources from OPL
- Book Me!
Looking for something great to read? Tell us what you like (and dislike!) and a librarian will send you a personalized reading list.
- Online events and book clubs
Just for kids
- Ms. Annabelle's bilingual storytime from April 15 (featured in this episode)
- OPL storytimes, rhymes and songs on Youtube
- Screen-Free Activities for Family Fun and other learning guides for children and families from OPL Children's Services librarians
- How to Learn at Home During School Closure
- Find all online storytimes and other fun stuff at oaklandlibrary.org/kids
(Mostly) for teens
- COVID-19 FAQs for Teens, from OPL Teen Services librarians
- Crafts to do at home
- OPL's Youth Poet Laureate program, and the June 5 2020 Oakland Youth Poet Laureate Announcement & Performances
- Find all teen activities and resources at oaklandlibrary.org/teens
Library staff featured in this episode:
Matt Berson, Public Information Officer, Oakland Public Library
Camille Peters, Electronic Resources Librarian, Oakland Public Library
Christy Thomas, Reference Librarian, Oakland Public Library - Main Library
Annabelle Blackman, Children's Librarian, Oakland Public Library - César E. Chávez Branch
Sharon McKellar, Teen Services Coordinator, Oakland Public Library