By about a month into the initial lockdown, I was tired of every physical book I'd checked out in a frantic, last-minute rush. On a whim, I read an ebook recommended by a colleague and rather liked it. But when I looked for other volumes in the series, I ran into a issue familiar to many library ebook users—the series was spread across two different ebook providers. I had to search for titles in two places, which was kind of a drag.
And that's where SimplyE comes in.
SimplyE is an e-reader app that provides access to most of OPL’s ebooks and eaudiobooks. Through a single interface, you can now search, browse, and borrow from OverDrive (including titles formerly available through RB Digital), enki Library and enki California Digital Library, and Biblioboard. No need to search in different places, and you'll be able to see all of your ebook loans—and their due dates—in one place.
Other benefits of using SimplyE:
- Straightforward, easy-to-use interface
- Add cards from multiple libraries, including San Francisco, Berkeley, and Alameda County
- Access to the SimplyE Collection, featuring classics, short stories and long-form journalism
And once the planned integration with hoopla is complete (TBD), nearly all of our ebook and eaudiobook offerings will be accessible via SimplyE.
It's easy to set up—here's how:
- Download SimplyE from the App Store or the Google Play Store.
- Open the app and select "Find Your Library."
- Choose Oakland Public Library and you can start browsing right away.
- To complete the setup, add your library card. Choose "Settings" at the bottom of the screen.
- Select OPL from the menu, enter your library barcode and PIN, then log in.
- Existing loans will appear under "My Books," and existing holds will appear under "Reservations."
As always, if you have any questions about using library ebooks, call us at (510) 238-3134 or email email@example.com. For more in-depth help, make a half-hour appointment to speak with library staff.