Oakland Public Library is happy to now provide access to tutor.com, a trusted resource for students and adult learners that offers live and FREE one-on-one tutoring in a variety of subjects.
You will need an Oakland Public Library card and a computer, smartphone, or tablet with internet access to get connected to a tutor.
Help is available from one of 3,500 professional tutors seven days a week, from 12pm (noon) to 12am (midnight), 361 days a year.
(tutor.com does not offer service on January 1, July 4, Thanksgiving Day, or December 25.)
Connecting with a professional tutor is easy and free and only takes a minute.
To connect with a tutor:
- Go to www.tutor.com/opl
- Log in using your Oakland Public Library card number.
- Choose to use the service as a guest or create an account to login*. Creating an account will allow you to unlock extra features, such as saving your work and receiving a recording of your tutoring sessions. *Accounts created for users ages 12 or younger are limited to live tutor help only. Parenting adults, you may create and use your own account for your child under the age of 12 if you'd like them to have access to all of the sites features.
- Choose which service you'd like to use:
- Connect with a live tutor by topic, subject, and grade level
- Submit a paper for review
- Drop off a math question
- Take a practice quiz
- Choose "Other Tools" to prep for the ACT/SAT, grad school tests, AP exams, or to watch math and English videos.
During tutoring sessions, you can share files, write on an interactive whiteboard, use a graphing calculator, and chat with your tutor using your computer’s audio or by dialing in to a toll-free number.
tutor.com’s features for K-12 students (and their adult caregivers) include:
*Live one-on-one tutoring in math, science, social studies, and English with subject matter experts
*Live one-on-one tutoring in Spanish with bilingual tutors
*Tutors versed in Common Core standard teaching strategies!
*Tutoring available in 14 different AP subjects, including Calculus, Statistics, and History
*Drop-off essay review (Drop off an essay and have it reviewed and returned to you within 12 hours.)
*Math drop-off help (Drop off a math problem and get a detailed response within 24 hours.)
*Preparation for the ACT or SAT by taking a practice test from The Princeton Review
*A safe online environment:
- No personal information is exchanged between students and tutors.
- Work completed in classrooms is monitored by management staff.
- Parents and guardians of children under the age of 13 are welcome to call Tutor.com at 1-800-2REVIEW to review policies and procedures with respect to their