This final post of the early learning series will highlight two prereading skills: Write and Play
Play is the work of children. They develop early writing skills by drawing and scribbling.
EARLY LEARNING TIPS
- Practice the hand motions for Itsy Bitsy Spider. This is fun way to develop (fine motor skills) the muscles needed to write.
- Give your toddler crayons and paper to use.
- Play with blocks and other toys with letters or shapes. Stack and make patterns.
- Write your child’s name and show how the letters are formed.
- Place toothpicks on paper and ask your child to draw around the toothpicks
EARLY LEARNING ACTIVITIES
- Practice writing letters in the sand or dirt (with a stick)
- Ask your child tell you a story about a picture they drew.
- Help your child form letters out of play dough, sticks, leaves or whatever you have around the house.
- Invite your child to color a picture of a fall tree with red, orange, and yellow leaves.
- Instruct your child on how to make a dot painting using their fingers or Q-tips dipped in paint.
- Learn at Home with PBS KIDS Family BINGO
- Aprendan en casa con PBS KIDS con BINGO para la familia
- Let your child drop small items such as buttons and leaves into a glass (or bucket) of water. Observe, do they sink or float?
- Hide objects or pictures around the house, then give your child a word and send her on a rhyming scavenger hunt.
- Form green balls and yellow balls with play dough. Help your child make a patterned caterpillar body. Green, yellow, green...
- Give your child bowls and a wooden spoon to “make dinner” as you’re making dinner.
- Choose a letter. Ask your child to find as many objects as they can that start with that letter.
- Play restaurant with your child using recycled containers and leaves for “food.”
- Put together a puzzle together as a family.
Communty Partner Spotlight
BANANAS offers monthly workshops, classes, and support groups to help parents approach the child care selection process, improve their parenting skills, and learn new coping tactics for a range of issues.
- Attend Baby/Toddler & Me Yoga -10am - noon Tuesday, September 22
- Register for Laugh, Learn, and Play with BANANAS Virtual Playgroups
- View their calendar with Worshops for Parents & Families