"Children learn, develop critical skills, and have fun when provided the opportunity for creative, artistic expression. Painting, coloring, writing, making music, and making crafts are all creative activities. Creative expression helps children articulate their feelings and thoughts." ~ Kaboom
This week we encourage you to visit (virtually) museums which we hope will inspire children and families to build, make, create, play, and learn through art exploration.
- OPL has partnered with MoCHA (Museum of Children's Art) for many years. Did you know they have recorded art lessons?
- Our neighbor Oakland Museum of California (OMCA) has also created learn at home activities.
- Exploratorium's Tinkering @ Home "is an active, hands-on approach to discovering the richness and depth of the world around you".
- The Bay Area Discovery Museum has an extensive collection of creative activities filterable by age, skill, difficulay, duration, topics and cost.
- The Purple Museum also known as the Children's Discovery Museum in San Jose offers weekly broadcasts, and at home activities.
- SFMOMA for Kids provides opportunties to watch, explore and make art.
- PBS Kids suggests Using Art to Explore Math.
- If you're looking to engage in some art appreciation the Louvre has a virtual tours and Google's Arts and Culture showcases various museusm collections.
- If you want to explore art outside, downtown Oakland is a gallery of protest art.
Art is everywhere! How do you express yourself? Please share your art photos online using the #OPLSummer hashtag.