The Oakland Public Library is pleased to offer Teacher Library Cards to support local educators in providing educational materials to their students.
There is no separate application form for the OPL Teacher Card. To receive a teacher card, please complete OPL’s regular library card application in person and request teacher card status.
Teacher cards expire at the same interval as regular cards. Teacher cards in good standing (less than $50 in fees) may be renewed upon expiration by providing proof of current teacher status.
WHO CAN GET A TEACHER LIBRARY CARD?
A “teacher” is any individual currently employed as a teacher, educator, administrator, librarian, childcare provider, or afterschool program provider at a school, childcare facility, adult educational facility, or afterschool program in the cities of Oakland, Emeryville, or Piedmont. Proof of institutional identification or a paystub from such a facility is required to receive a teacher card.
Teacher cards are for materials for curriculum support or classroom use. Teachers should use their regular cards to check out library materials for personal use. Additionally, teacher cards are for individual use only.
BENEFITS OF THE TEACHER LIBRARY CARD
- Borrow most print items for six weeks, instead of three
- No overdue fines for late materials
- Request and place up to 30 items on hold, instead of 15
Teacher cards cannot be used to borrow Link+ or interlibrary loan items, or items for personal use. Electronic materials cannot be extended beyond a three-week period.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR CHARGES ON A TEACHER LIBRARY CARD?
Teachers are personally responsible for paying lost and damaged fees charged to their cards. Teacher card privileges will be suspended if $50 or more is billed to the account.
HOW TO GET A TEACHER LIBRARY CARD:
- Apply online for a library card here;
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org from your official institutional email address if possible. If not, please email scans or photos of current teacher status in Oakland, Emeryville or Piedmont, as follows:
- School or institution identification; or
- School or institution paystub; or
- CA family childcare home license; or
- Affidavit of Private School; or
- Letter of acknowledgement of homeschooling from a local school district (Oakland, Piedmont, or Emeryville)
Teachers are also always extended a 20% discount at The Bookmark Bookstore, run by Friends of the Oakland Public Library. Simply let the cashier know where you teach, and what grade.