2021 Kids Summer Reading runs May 29 - July 31, 2021
Click here for a preview video.
Click here for an instructional video on how to register.
Reading for fun during the summer helps children maintain or improve their skills so that they are ready to start school again in the fall.
OPL's Kids' Summer Reading rewards children for reading and doing different types of activities this Summer. Kids who participate weekly during the Summer can choose a free prize book and are eligible to win other prizes. Prize book pick up begins June 26th. Other prizes will be distributed following the end of the program.
This year’s Kids' grand prizes include a family vacation at Oakland Feather River Family Camp in summer 2022, Nintendo Switch, and a family membership to Fairyland.
We also welcome kids and families to participate in our online activities and performances throughout the summer.
Partner organizations interested in distributing reading logs, or for other information regarding Kids’ Summer Reading, please contact Laura Liang, Supervising Librarian for Children’s Services, at email@example.com.
Lunch at the Library
Summer Lunch 2021 will run from June 14-August 6. Lunches will be grab and go, first come first served, until meals run out at the following locations:
- Eastmont: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 11:30am
- Elmhurst: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 11:30am
- Main Library: Wednesdays and Fridays, 11:30am
- Melrose: Wednesdays and Fridays, 11:30am
Parents and guardians may pick up meals for multiple days without children present. There are no program requirements or paperwork to complete to benefit from the program. All kids 18 and under, and adults with disabilities enrolled in a school program can receive meals.
Week 1 (May 29 - June 4): Kickoff to Summer
- Saturday, May 29 - Family Dance Party/Fiesta de Baile Familiar
- Tuesday, June 1 - Family Yoga With Misty!
- Thursday, June 3 - Read, Watch, Do: Let's Make Pom Pom Friends!
Week 2 (June 5 - June 11): Let’s Play
- Saturday, June 5 - 123 Andres!
- Tuesday, June 8 - Family Yoga With Misty!
- Thursday, June 10 - Read, Watch, Do: Let's Play Some Games
Week 3 (June 12 - June 18): Art & Expression
- Saturday, June 12 - Shefali Shah and Aguacer/Shefali Shah y Aguacero
- Tuesday, June 15 - Family Yoga With Misty!
- Thursday, June 17 - Read, Watch Do: Let's Make Scribble Bots
Week 4 (June 19 - June 25): Social Justice
- Saturday, June 19 - Alphabet Rockers
- Tuesday, June 22 - Family Yoga With Misty!
- Thursday, June 24 - Read, Watch, Do: Social Justice Sewing Academy Two Part Series
Week 5 (June 26 - July 2): Family Pride
- Saturday, June 26 - Drag Queen Storytime with Per Sia/Drag Queen hora de cuentos con Per Sia
- Tuesday, June 29 - Family Yoga With Misty!
- Thursday, July 1 - Read, Watch, Do: Join Us For A MOCHA Art Lesson
Week 6 (July 3 - July 9): Wellness Week
- Saturday, July 3 - Destiny Arts Center!
- Tuesday, July 6 - Family Yoga With Misty!
- Thursday, July 8 - Read, Watch, Do: East Bay Parks and Owl Pellets
Week 7 (July 10 - July 16): Reach Out
- Saturday, July 10 - Kristy Oshiro Taiko Artist/Kristy Oshiro Artista de Taiko
- Tuesday, July 13 - Family Yoga With Misty!
- Thursday, July 15 - Read, Watch, Do: Pen Pals From Around The World
Week 8 (July 17 - July 23): Do-It-Yourself
- Saturday, July 17 - Hands On Science with Kits Cubed
- Tuesday, July 20 - Family Yoga With Misty!
- Thursday, July 22 - Read, Watch, Do: Social Justice Sewing Academy Two Part Series
Week 9 (July 24 - July 31): Nature Close at Hand
- Saturday, July 24 - NorCal Bats!!/Murciélagos del Norte de California
- Tuesday, July 27 - Family Yoga With Misty!
- Thursday, July 29 - Read, Watch, Do: Join Us for a MOCHA Art Lesson
- Saturday, July 31 - End of Kids OPL Summer Party
Kids' Summer Reading is made possible by the generous support of:
- The Friends of the Oakland Public Library
- The William G. Gilmore Foundation
- Hellman Foundation
- Matson Giving
- The Bernard Osher Foundation
- The Kenneth Rainin Foundation