Pick up your summer reading prizes!
Summer Reading Logs
- We encourage everyone to log their Summer Reading activities on Oakland.beanstack.org. Reading logs can also be returned in book drops between August 1 and August 22.
Summer Reading Prize Book Pick-up
- Prize book pick-up will take place at all sidewalk pick-up locations beginning August 10.
- Summer Reading Prize Book Pick-up will also take place at a few branches as pop-up events. Locations, dates, and times are listed below:
- Melrose - 8/21/20, 11-2pm
- Temescal - 8/22/20, 1-4pm
- Elmhurst - 8/29/20, 12-4pm
- Golden Gate - 8/29/20, 12-4pm
- This year’s Kids' Summer Reading grand prizes are a four-night stay for a family of four at Oakland Feather River Family Camp in Summer 2021; one family membership to Children’s Fairyland (for ages 0-4); and 17 Chromebook laptops (for ages 5-14).
Raffle winners will be drawn and notified after August 31st. Raffle winners will be able to pick up their prizes at a sidewalk pick-up location.
Reading for fun during the summer helps children maintain or improve their skills so that they are ready to start school again in the fall.
OPL's Kids' Summer Reading rewards children for reading and doing different types of activities this Summer. Kids who participate weekly during the Summer can choose a free prize book and are eligible to win other prizes. Books and prizes will be distributed when we reopen.
This year’s Kids grand prizes are a four-night stay for a family of four at Oakland Feather River Family Camp in summer 2021; one family membership to Children’s Fairyland (for ages 0-4); and 17 Chromebook laptops (for ages 5-14).
We also welcome kids and families to our activities and performances throughout the summer.
Partner organizations interested in distributing reading logs, or for other information regarding Kids’ Summer Reading, please contact Laura Liang, Supervising Librarian for Children’s Services, at email@example.com.
Our Children’s Services Department has also put together a resource guide to help bridge the learning gap to assist parents and caregivers to keep children engaged and learning throughout the summer.
Themes (Activities to be updated throughout the summer)
Week 1 (May 30 – June 5): Kick-off to Summer
- Kids (May 30): Alphabet Rockers Virtual Concert
Week 2 (June 6 – June 12): Let’s Play
- Kids (June 6): Social Distance Sidewalk Arcade!
Week 3 (June 13 – June 19): Health and Fitness/Wellness
- Kids (June 13): Yoga with Misty!
Week 4 (June 20 – June 26): Art & Expression
- Kids (June 20): Celebrate Summer with MOCHA!
Week 5 (June 27 – July 3): Reach Out
- Kids (June 27): LGBTQ+ Family Pride Celebration
Week 6 (July 4 – July 10): Do-it-Yourself
- Kids (July 4): Do-it-Yourself Blog!
Week 7 (July 11 – July 17): Celebrating Our Diversity
- Kids (July 11): Celebrating Everyday Diversity
Week 8 (July 18 – July 24): Global Society
- Kids (July 18): Virtual Concert with Cascada de Flores
Week 9 (July 25 – August 1): Nature Close at Hand
- Kids (July 25): East Bay Parks Virtual Program