You may renew most items three times unless someone else has placed a hold on that item. Once you have returned an item, you must wait one day before checking the same item out again.
You can renew online at any time by logging in to your account in the library's computer system, or by calling the library's automated telephone renewal number at (510) 238-3311. During open hours you may also renew in person or by phone at any Oakland Public Library location. For a list of Oakland Public Library locations and hours, click here.
Automatic Renewal is Now Live!
1. Items eligible for renewal will be automatically renewed on the date the courtesy notice is sent. Courtesy notices are sent three days before the item is due.
2. The same blocks preventing an item from being renewed (like holds placed on an checked-out title or maxing out the allotted number of renewals) still apply to this automatic renewal system.
3. The following are excluded from automatic renewal:
- Link+ items
4. Items being automatically renewed and items that are not eligible to be renewed are listed separately in the patrons’ email courtesy notice. We send courtesy notices via emails only. Patrons who don’t provide a valid email address in their patron record won’t receive any courtesy notices, but their checkouts will still be automatically renewed if the Item is eligible for renewal.
To Renew Online:
Sign in to your account by clicking here.
Once you have logged in, you should see a list of the items that you currently have checked-out.
There are two ways to renew:
- Click the "Renew All" button to renew everything you have currently checked out
- Or you may click on the checkbox preceding the title of the item(s) you want renewed and click the "renew selected" button
Once you click either renew button, you will be taken to a second screen where you can click "yes" to confirm your renewal. After you click "yes," your screen will refresh and show you the new date due in the status field of the item. Some items may not be renewed if other patrons have placed holds on them.
If you have trouble renewing your items, call your local Oakland Public Library location for help.