History Is Made Every Day, All Around Us.
The Oakland History Center and African American Museum and Library at Oakland (AAMLO) staff work to learn and share Oakland's diverse and complex history to the community. On this page, you'll find original articles, archival collections, photographs, and sound and film recordings.
Oakland History Events
Oakland History Events
Aug 13th | 2:00pm - 3:00pmOnline Event
Read About Oakland History
Original articles on Oakland history from OHC and AAMLO staff.
Learn About Oakland of the Past.
Archival collections bring researchers closer to the people who made history. They offer access to primary documents. These include letters, postcards, personal items, and photographs.
Digitized OPL Collections
Explore pictures, videos, interviews, songs, and more from the collections of Oakland History Center and the African American Museum and Library at Oakland.
Watch Oakland History Programs
Recorded programs from the Oakland Public Library.
Research The Town
Newspapers.com - current coverage dates for the Oakland Tribune are 1874-1976
NewspaperArchive.com - current coverage dates for the Oakland Tribune are 1874-1977
- Oakland Tribune Archive - Full-text of articles since September 14, 2001.
- East Bay Times Collection - Oakland Tribune was re-branded as the East Bay Times in 2016.
- Oakland Newspaper & Magazine Index - Produced by OPL staff, this index tracks Oakland and East Bay articles appearing in local newspapers and magazines.
Other Local Newspaper Sources
Oakland is frequently covered in papers in San Francisco and throughout the state. These two resources are likely to feature coverage of events in Oakland and the East Bay.
California Digital Newspaper Collection includes:
- San Francisco Call (San Francisco, 1890-1913)
- California Star (San Francisco, 1847-1848)
- Elevator (San Francisco, 1865-1898)
- Pacific Appeal (San Francisco, 1862-1880)
- Pacific Rural Press (San Francisco, 1871-1922)
- Weekly Alta California (San Francisco, 1849)
- Wide West (San Francisco, 1854-1858)
Oakland City Directories
No city directories were printed in 1919, 1920, 1929, 1931, 1932, 1936, 1942, 1944-1966, or 1968.
The Oakland History Center’s collection also includes Oakland reverse directories for the years 1936, 1953, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, and 1995. Unlike city directories, which are searchable by name, reverse directories are searchable by address or phone number. These are also called criss-cross or street address directories. Additional reverse directories for Oakland are available online for the years 1938, opens a new window, 1940, opens a new window, and 1944, opens a new window. Later years are available in the Main Library's Magazine & Newspaper Room.
Our collection also includes telephone directories, business directories, society directories, and more.