All library locations will be closed on Thursday, November 23rd and Friday, November 24th, for Thanksgiving.
Any California resident can get an Oakland Public Library card. Library cards are free and are available at all our locations. You must pick up your card in person (unless you are eligible for Extended Services).
Choose one of our new library card designs while supplies last.
You can apply in person or complete an online application.
Visit your nearest library to pick up your card. To apply in person, you can print out an application form below, complete it at home and bring it to your nearest library.
If you are over 17 years old, you must show one piece of identification.
A child's application (for age 12 and under) needs the signature of a parent or guardian. If you are between 13 and 17 years old, you can either apply with a parent or guardian's signature or by bringing in one piece of acceptable identification.
You must have your own library card to check out library materials. You are responsible for all items checked out to you.
A patron can check out up to 50 items as long as their fines remain at $50 or less.
Has your card expired? Every three years you will need to renew your library card by providing current contact information. You can renew your card in person, by email, or by phone at any Oakland Public Library location.
Library Card Applications
Downloadable Applications for Adults and Teens
- Adult Library Card Application (English)
- Adult Library Card Application (Spanish)
- Adult Library Card Application (Chinese)
- Adult Library Card Application (Vietnamese)
- Teen Library Card Application (English)
- Teen Library Card Application (Spanish)
- Teen Library Card Application (Chinese)
- Teen Library Card Application (Vietnamese)
Downloadable Applications for Children (ages 5-12)
- Child (ages 5-12) Library Card Application (English)
- Child (ages 5-12) Library Card Application (Spanish)
- Child (ages 5-12) Library Card Application (Chinese)
- Child (ages 5-12) Library Card Application (Vietnamese)
Replacing Lost Library Cards
If your card is lost or stolen, or if you change your name or address, notify the library immediately.
Teacher Library Cards
The Oakland Public Library is pleased to offer Teacher Library Cards to support local educators in providing educational materials to their students.