Starting May 27, people of all ages can register to participate in our annual summer programs.
Kids Summer Reading
Kids (0-14) who complete 20 days of reading during the summer can choose a free book and earn the chance to win other prizes. Kids and families can join a variety of summer programs throughout the summer to stay engaged, entertained, and motivated to reach their reading goals. Kids who sign up by June 21 will be entered in a raffle to win a special grand prize: a 3-night family stay at Oakland Feather River Family Camp in the Plumas National Forest.
Teens (12-17) can win prizes for doing what they already love to do: reading, attending library events, playing games, writing online reviews, volunteering, and hanging out with friends. Prizes include a Nintendo Switch Lite, a Chromebook, and Beats headphones, and more.
Summer Reading is for adults, too! Adults (18+) can review books and movies or complete activities to earn chances to win in the prize raffles. There are two grand prizes this year: a turntable and gift certificate to Econo Jam Records, and a $500 gift certificate to Laurel Cyclery.
To participate, signup starting Saturday, May 27 at any OPL location or online: oaklandlibrary.org/summer
Summer Events for All Ages
OPL’s summer calendar is packed with activities for all ages. From visiting insects to puppet shows for kids, to breakdancing and DJing workshops for teens, and gardening and craft workshops for adults, there’s something for everyone to learn and explore.
Thanks to our community volunteers and our partners at the City of Oakland Department of Human Services, OPL will also offer Free Sumer Lunch (ages 18 and under), Weekdays from May 30-August 4, 12pm-1pm (excluding the Tuesday, July 4 holiday) at the following library locations:
Many thanks to our 2023 prize donors:
- The Bookmark Bookstore, opens a new window
- Chabot Space and Science Center, opens a new window
- Children's Fairyland, opens a new window
- East Oakland Sports Center, opens a new window
- Folkmanis Puppets, opens a new window
- Lake Merritt Boating Center, opens a new window
- The MADE, opens a new window (The Museum of Art and Digital Entertainment)
- The Oakland A’s, opens a new window
- Oakland Feather River Family Camp, opens a new window
- Oakland Roots SC, opens a new window
- The Oakland Zoo, opens a new window
- San Francisco Bay Ferry, opens a new window
Special thanks to the major supporters of 2023 Kids’ Summer Reading:
- Eat. Learn. Play. Foundation
- The Friends of the Oakland Public Library
- The Friends of the Rockridge Library
- William G. Gilmore Foundation
- Hellman Foundation Fund
- Matson Foundation
- The Bernard Osher Foundation
- Kenneth Rainin Foundation