We're so happy to welcome you to the new oaklandlibrary.org. You'll need to create a BiblioCommons account to place holds, make lists, and maintain your library account online.
BiblioCommons is an online service your library uses that makes it easier to track your holds and renewals and find the titles you are looking for in the Oakland Public Library’s collection. BiblioCommons also allows you to share ratings and commentary about the titles you find at your library, and to connect with other library users.
Registration allows you create an easy-to-remember username you can use to log in, so you don’t have to type your barcode every time you want to check your account. Registration also allows you to get personalized recommendations and contribute ratings and reviews.
After you have registered, you can log in with your username or your library card number.
Children under 13 are not allowed to enter free text on websites without parental approval. Currently, BiblioCommons does not have an option to ensure parental approval, so they came up with the color/animal/number format for usernames, but they hope to provide other options in the future. Once a child turns 13, they will be able to select a username and have other free-text options available.
Let's Create Your Account!
- Log in, using the button in the top right of your screen, with your library card number and PIN. You will be prompted to create a username. (Remember, in the future you can log in with your username or library card number.)
- To manage your privacy settings, go to My Settings. Under Privacy, click My Shelves, then My Feeds. Your Borrowing and Account information are always private. Learn more about your privacy settings in the new catalog.
- You can place holds with a single click! Skip the step of selecting a library every time you place a hold. Set up a preferred location and place holds with just one click. To set this up, log in and click My Settings, then Hold and Pickup Location.
- Get organized. Use online Shelves to organize everything you have read, listened to, or watched or that you want to check out from the library later. To see your Shelves, log in and click My Profile, then Shelves.
- Connect with OPL and a community of readers. See what Oakland Public Library and other readers are reading and recommending. Follow OPL staff or other readers who have chosen to share their lists and recommendations. You can rate items, post comments and create lists.